|QUALIFICATIONS:||B.Sc. (Chemistry) University of Melbourne
Completed courses in:
|AFFILIATIONS:||RACI, Appita, TAPPI|
|1991 – Present||Covey Consulting||Process Manager|
|1967 – 1990||Associated Pulp and Paper Mills – Burnie Mill
(now Australian Paper)
|1990 : Senior Technical Officer – Pulp Mill
1989 : Senior Technical Officer – Environmental Operations
1986 : Process Engineer – DARS project
1982 : Senior Technical Officer – Pulping
1977 : Process Engineer – BME project
1975 : Mill Chemist – Paper Mill. New qualities, colour
1972 : Mill Chemist – Environmental Investigations
1967 : Mill Chemist – Pulping
|1964 – 1966||Australian Paper Manufacturers – Maryvale Mill||Technical Department Chemist|
- Aluminates – Tasmania
- Review of H2SO4/SO3 emission problems.
- Australian Cement Holdings – Railton works
- Feasibility study for new cement additive
- Review of greenhouse gas offsets
- Trials on use of waste gypsum
- Review of process variability
- Greenhouse emissions documentation
- Australian Paper – Burnie
- Process design of proposed slotted screen installation.
- Control of odour from effluent clarifier.
- Control of residual aluminium in filtered water.
- Dynamic simulation of pulp bleaching.
- Fibre loss audit.
- Strategic review of pulp mill options.
- Preparation of training manuals for pulp mill.
- APPM Burnie
- Preparation of training manuals for Pulp Mill.
- Australian Paper – Maryvale
- Work on various major hazard facility items, including ClO2 plant, chlorine handling, bleach plant and digesters.
- Australian Paper – Shoalhaven
- Commissioning of waste paper plant upgrade.
- Water conservation studies.
- Preparing P&I diagrams for whole mill.
- Survey to quantify sources of BOD emissions.
- Review of spent liquor recovery furnace operation.
- Mass balance – de-inking plant.
- Costing and design of proposed fine screening installation.
- Design and costing of additional through flow cleaners installation.
- Australian Paper – Wesley Vale
- Process design of air compressors cooling system.
- Burnie City Council
- Review and optimisation of water treatment plant pH control.
- Review of process options for anaerobic digester.
- Review of copper corrosion.
- Control of residual manganese from water treatment plant.
- CSIRO – Land and Water Division
- Feasibility study for production of a novel bulk chemical.
- David Mitchell Ltd
- Supply of quicklime to APPM Burnie mill.
- Advice on hardboard dewatering.
- Kimberly-Clark Australia
- Process engineering work for Tantanoola Pulp Mill project – design, commissioning, optimisation.
- Dynamic modelling of steam system.
- Review of Millicent and Tantanoola water usage.
- Survey of colour emissions to effluent.
- Optimisation of TMP plant decker performance.
- Process engineering work for Tantanoola pitch extraction project – design and commissioning.
- Pasminco Mining – Rosebery
- Investigation of performance of NOx scrubber
- Process design of turpentine handling system – Tumut mill.
- West Coast Transport
- Investigation of cool store heat exchanger corrosion.
Associated Pulp and Paper Mills
- Direct Alkali Recovery System (DARS) – process engineering work, shift supervision during commissioning, operator training
- Development of dynamic modelling program of plant.
- Process engineering and commissioning work for the Burnie soda pulp mill expansion program (mainly in recaust, lime kiln, pulp screening and bleaching).
- Liquid effluent and air pollution surveys.
- Setting up environmental monitoring and reporting system.
- Air pollution surveys.
- Paper quality control and development of alkaline paper grades.
- General work in cold soda plant.
- General work in stock preparation, wet end, additives areas.
- Investigation of sources of mercury loss in chlor-alkali plant.
- Development, installation and commissioning of titanium anodes project in chlor-alkali plant.
- Assistance with Wesley Vale commissioning (fibre losses, effluent surveys).
Australian Paper Manufacturers – Maryvale
- Development of pulp viscosity test methods
- Odour control investigations
- Shift Inspector – paper quality
- “Improving performance of rotary vacuum washers”
Geoff Covey and Reg Harvey
- “Simple Modifications For Better Results From Rotary Vacuum Washers”
Geoff Covey and Reg Harvey; paper ASIA, March 2006