|QUALIFICATIONS:||B.Applied Science (Electronics) University of Melbourne|
|AFFILIATIONS:||Institution of Engineers Australia
Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada
Institute of Instrumentation, Control & Automation
|1996 – Present||Procex Pty Ltd||Director. Formed Procex Pty Ltd in 1996. More details on the range of skills can be found at the Procex web site: www.procex.com.au|
|1994 – 1996||Australian Paper||Manager Manufacturing Systems Planning|
|1993 – 1994||McKinley Paper Company – New Mexico, USA||Information Systems Project Manager|
|1991 – 1993||Australian Paper Manufacturers||Manager Manufacturing Systems – Information Services|
|1987 – 1991||AMCOR Research & Technology Centre||Principal Research Engineer – Process Control / Manager Control Technology|
|1973 – 1987||Australian Paper Manufacturers Limited||Chief Control Systems Engineer / Sen. Systems Engineer / Instrument Engineer|
Worked in various APM mills, Central Engineering, Amcor Research & Technology Centre, McKinley Paper Company, and Australian Paper Information Technology. This resulted in intimate knowledge of many aspects of the pulp and paper industry. Also worked in other industries such as tyre manufacturing, brewing and packaging
Procex Pty Ltd
- Clients have included:
- Amcor Glass
- Amcor R&T Centre – Melbourne
- ARISA – Adelaide
- Australian Paper – Burnie, Maryvale, Shoalhaven and Wesley Vale Mills
- Barwon Water
- Beca Simons
- Carter Holt Harvey – Kinleith, NZ
- Clean Technology Solutions Pty Ltd – Melbourne
- Esso Australia
- Glaxo Wellcome
- Holfelder Packaging – Germany
- Kimberley Clark – Millicent, S.A.
- OSI Software
- Silcar Maintenance Services – Wesley Vale, Tas
- Visy Paper – Reservoir
- The work has included:
- Implementing and tuning of Kappa controls for a Kamyr continuous digester.
- Developing an expert system to assist operators in troubleshooting of a biological effluent treatment plant.
- Preparing the justification and request for funds for a mill wide process information system.
- Developing a pulp mill scheduling system to optimise production of three pulp mills and recovery areas.
- Preliminary estimate for process control of a pulp mill.
- Preliminary estimate for business systems to support a pulp mill.
- Evaluation of options for interfacing a sheet inspection unit to a quality database.
- Preparing contracts and preliminary engineering for a quality control system installation.
- Organising and chairing an “On-Line Measurement Workshop” at the 1997 APPITA conference.
- Project management of a quality control system installation in a German paper mill.
- Presentation of a paper “Continuous Digester Control” at the Control 97 conference.
- Development of information systems for mill coordination and prediction of pulp stocks and usage.
- Process control of batch digesters.
- Investigation of moisture sensor calibration problems on a quality control system.
- Project management for the integration of a process information system with process control systems, an automated test system, and a product tracking system.
- Control systems performance audit for a paper mill.
- Implementation of a laboratory information system (LIMS)
- Development of performance-based maintenance contracts for a paper mill.
- Consulting for Year 2000 compliance project in a large pulp & paper mill.
- Neural network models to predict paper strength and bleach plant brightness.
- Neural network models of lime kiln TRS and opacity.
- Training of users of Process Information Systems.
- Development of PRO-PLAN Pulp Mill & Recovery Optimisation System.
- Neural network models of Kappa number and white liquor strength.
- Neural network models of curl.
- Project management of a vibration table test facility.
- Process control of a pilot refiner test facility.
- Presentation of a paper “Production Scheduling of Pulp Mills and Recoveries” at Control Systems 2000 in Victoria BC.
- Review and modify PLC logic for a chiller and HVAC in a research facility.
- Develop displays for a mill information system based on PI.
- Develop a technical specification for an advanced control system for a dual vessel continuous pulp mill.
- Investigate the applicability of software packages for manufacturing execution systems in pulp & paper mills.
- Regular audits of control systems maintenance in pulp & paper mills.
- Control systems for backwater system using VSD’s to reduce energy consumption.
- Environmental deviation displays and reports using the PI system.
- Mill studies to evaluate the benefits of using a pulp mill & recovery optimisation system such as pro-plan.
- Assisting with energy efficiency improvements in a research facility.
- Responsible for the implementation of supervisory controls for a dual vessel continuous kraft pulp mill.
- Design and implement a paper machine break recording system using the PI system.
- Investigation and report on the failure of backup power systems and furnace safety systems in a glass plant.
- Responsible for the formulation of a manufacturing systems strategic plan and tactical plan. As part of this, I ran a strategic planning workshop to establish the need and priority of potential business applications. This is aimed at providing decision-support systems in planning and manufacturing execution, as well as other support functions.
- Managed the IT aspects of the OOMMS maintenance management system project.
Further development of the machine diagnostic expert system.
- Development of a pulp mill scheduling system to calculate desired production rates to satisfy demand and maintain storages at optimal levels within constraints in the white liquor, digester and black liquor systems.
- Involved in the evaluation of SAP for AP. This involved overseas travel to visit SAP and mills which were implementing SAP, as well as determining which other software products were best suited to cover the gaps in the SAP product.
- Subsequently, two software products were promoted as being capable of returning good benefits immediately:
- PI from OSI software is a process information system used for process troubleshooting and decision support.
- Rhythm from i2Technologies is an enterprise supply chain planning and scheduling optimising system.
McKinley Paper Company – New Mexico, USA
- This position was a secondment for 12 months. The task was to determine the business needs for this new subsidiary of Amcor Paper Group and to select and implement the appropriate systems.
- Being a new company, I was also involved in many other activities associated with building a company from scratch. These included designing the company logo, flag, business forms and product labels, as well as determining operating procedures, etc.
Australian Paper Manufacturers
- Managed a development group of 10 analysts and programmers. The applications included Finishing Management System (FMS), Production Recording System (PRS), Inventory Management Accounting System (IMAS) and Forests. FMS was installed at Fairfield, Broadford, Functional Coatings and Maryvale during this period.
- Nominated as the representative for Australia at the Control Systems 94 conference in Stockholm Sweden.
- Developed an expert system knowledge base for diagnosing problems on paper machines.
AMCOR Research & Technology Centre
- Lectured at the APPI Master of Engineering course at Monash University in process control.
- Managed an energy conservation project using a Texas Instruments PLC for RTC HVAC which won a SECV award.
- Travelled overseas in 1991 to visit various companies in the USA, Canada and England, and to attend the Control Systems 90 conference in Helsinki, Finland.
- Responsible for a variety of control systems engineering and research projects within APM, Containers Packaging and Amcor Research & Technology Centre.
- Also responsible for the development and maintenance of control systems standards within the Amcor Group.
- A member of the Company Burner Management Committee.
- Other activities have involved the planning for Millwide Computer Networks, preparation of network specifications and computer (Vax) and database selection (Ingres).
- Developed a novel optical inspection system based on a Siemens PLC for the multi-wall sack bottomer at St. Regis Bates, Keon Park. This allowed increased output as manual inspection was eliminated.
- Managed development of a vision system to quantify the dirt count in lapped pulp.
- Managed the process control aspects of the installation of Measurex Scanners and DCS at Fairfield 6 and Fairfield 2. This was a $2,000,000 project.
Australian Paper Manufacturers Limited
- As Chief Control Systems Engineer had responsibility for the control systems aspects of major and minor projects within APM from initial concept through to commissioning. Projects included:
- MKMP Pine Mill
- Recovery Boiler
- Batch Mill
- Colour Removal Plant
- Maryvale 3 Rebuild
- Other tasks included estimating for projects and evaluating competitive bids for machine computer systems at our various mills.
- As Senior Systems Engineer in the Head Office Control Systems Department had responsibility for:
- Selection, design, installation and maintenance of process computer systems throughout APM.
- Commissioning of instrumentation
- Troubleshooting of process problems
- Modelling and optimisation of processes
- Design, installation and troubleshooting of process control equipment.
- Maintenance and calibration of on-line capacitive and beta-ray gauges measuring moisture content and weight of paperboard.
- Management and programming of a PDP8 on-line process control computer system controlling a linerboard machine. APM were pioneers in the application of computer control to paper machines.
- Systems engineering – troubleshooting and establishing relationships in the paper process.
- Supervision and co-ordination of instrument tradesmen.