|QUALIFICATIONS:||B.Sc.(Chem.Eng.) University of Surrey
Ph.D. University of Melbourne
|AFFILIATIONS:||Institution of Chemical Engineers, Appita, TAPPI|
|2002 – Present||Covey Consulting||Principal Associate|
|1992 – 2002||University
|Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor Chemical Engineering|
|1990 – 1992||Covey Consulting||Director|
|1986 – 1990||Associated Pulp
and Paper Mills
|Section Leader – Process Technology
Senior Process Engineer – DARS Project
|1977 – 1986||Australian Paper Manufacturers||1985 : Manager DARS Technology
1984 : Technical Superintendent
1983 : Process Engineer – Pulp Mill Project
1979 : Project Manager – DARS
1977 : Development Engineer
|1976 – 1979||Swinburne Institute
|Part-time Lecturer in Chemical Engineering|
|1972 – 1974||Laporte Industries
- Kimberly-Clark Australia
- Wimmera Industrial Minerals Pty Ltd
- Aluminates Pty Ltd
- Botanical Resources Australia
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization / General Company for Paper Industry (Syria)
- University of Melbourne
- Municipality of Ulverstone
- Waste Furnaces Pty Ltd (NZ)
- Australian Pulp and Paper Institute
- CSIRO Divisions of Forestry and Forest Products, and Land and Water
- Allens Arthur Robinson
- Minter Ellison
- Griffith Hack
- Peerless JAL
- Confidential clients as expert witness
University of Melbourne
Associated Pulp And Paper Mills
- Burnie Mill
- Commissioning and development of Direct Alkali Recovery System Installation.
- Energy saving capital project.
- Pulp mill effluent reduction.
- Black and white liquor storage upgrade.
- Shoalhaven Mill
- Conceptual design of chemical recovery plant for cotton linter pulp mill using hydro-pyrolysis.
Australian Paper Manufacturers Ltd.
- Direct Alkali Recovery System (DARS)
- Laboratory and conceptual development of DARS from chemical concept.
- Process design, specification, construction and operation of pilot plant.
- Preliminary process designs for several full scale plants, including those subsequently built by APPM and Fredericia Cellulosefabrik (Denmark).
- Maryvale Mill
- Process refinement and commissioning of lime kiln, recausticizing plant and evaporators for a large expansion project. Also post commissioning of the plant, including: redesign of spills collection in recovery area, redesign of quench and chemical supply for sulphur dioxide recovery from foul-gas incinerator, water re-use system for recausticizing plant, problem rectification in pulp stock pumping and screw-press system.
- Improving performance of brown stock washing, foul-gas / foul-condensate system, recausticizing plant.
- Audit of chemical safety standards for APM, Brown and Dureau and Containers Ltd.
- Studies on mechanical pulping of softwood.
Laporte Industries Ltd
- Plasma heating of process gases.
- Process design and operation of pilot plants for the production of titanium dioxide and iron oxide pigments.
- Preliminary design of a commercial plant for the production of iron oxide pigments.
- Development work on fluid energy milling of titanium dioxide.
AWARDS, PATENTS, PUBLICATIONS:
- 1984 L.R.Benjamin Medal presented by Appita.
- 1984 Presenter of a two day seminar to the Pacific Region of TAPPI (the US Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry).
- Two patents relating to DARS granted in most major pulp producing countries.
- Author of one hundred and thirty papers on chemical recovery, mineral processing, management and rheology, including:
- “Deposit formation in the sulphite stage
of a magnefite chemical recovery system”
Ian Hamilton, Robert Adrien, Daniel Baer, Geoff Covey,
Dennis Creasy and Steven Harper
- “Freedom to operate”
Geoff Covey and Andrew Butler
- “Getting more from your project dollar”
- “Writing better technical specifications”
Geoff Covey and Gerke Faber
- “Protecting your ideas”
Andrew Butler and Geoff Covey
- “Turning mixed plastic wastes into a useable liquid fuel”
S.L. Low, M.A. Connor and G.H. Covey
- “Application of a Pulp Mill Waste for Wastewater Treatment”
H. Yu, G.H. Covey and A.J. O’Connor
- “Optimising simulated commercial paper for pulp quality analysis”
R. J. N. Helmer, G. H. Covey, W. D. Raverty and N. Vanderhoek
- “The potential for bagasse pulping in Australia”
Geoff Covey, Tom Rainey, Dennis Shore
- “Preliminary development of a laboratory former for oriented sheets”
R. J. N. Helmer, G. H. Covey, W. D. Raverty and N. Vanderhoek; Appita 1991
- “Flow phenomena and paper forming”
R. J. N. Helmer, G. H. Covey, W. D. Raverty and N. Vanderhoek; Appita 2000
Geoff Covey and Reg Harvey
- “Simple Modifications For Better Results From Rotary Vacuum Washers”
Geoff Covey and Reg Harvey; paper ASIA, March 2006